Wheat Grass is a form of grass which is grown by planting wheat kernels in the soil. The parts above the ground, rhizome and roots are used for medicinal purpose. Wheat grass is a concentrate source of nutrients. It is a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, iron, magnesium, calcium and many amino acids. It contains a pigment called chlorophyll which has a close resemblance with hemoglobin.
Wheat grass can be used in the form of juice, powder and fresh leaves. Juicing can be done at home easily by planting the wheat kernels in the mud pot. Wheat grass juice and wheat grass powder can easily be procured from the nearby super market.
Although there isn’t much scientific evidence about wheat grass its benefits and side effects it is still used to treat many health conditions. There are certain benefits and few side effects of wheat grass juice, these are listed below:
Benefits of Wheat Grass Juice
Stimulates the Thyroid Gland and Aids Weight Loss: Wheat grass has a property to stimulate the thyroid gland so it is beneficial for the people having hypothyroid. The compound found in wheat grass stops the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) from binding to its thyroid receptor sites, slows or even quells the uptake of iodine by the active transport sites on thyroid cell surfaces. Consuming wheat grass juice daily can even reduce the doses of your thyroid medicine and also aid weight loss in hypothyroid patients.
Powerful Detox: Drinking a cup of wheat grass juice before meals can detox your body in an amazing way, try it with a fruit detox diet before a wedding party or a holiday and see yourself drop down by a size and rejuvenate your skin making it look flawless, fresh and radiant.
Improves Hemoglobin and Red Blood Cells: Some health experts have discovered that the chlorophyll of wheat grass is identical to the hemoglobin of the human blood. Because of these close similarities, the human body is able to synthesize hemoglobin from the chlorophyll of wheat grass with an ease. Which is addition serves to increase the number of Red Blood Cells so as to deliver other nutrients and oxygen to the body cells more efficiently.
Improves Digestion: Because of its alkaline nature wheat grass is helpful in improving digestion related issues like, hyper-acidity, flatulence, relieves the symptoms of peptic ulcers, treats ulcerative colitis, relieves from constipation and diarrhea, and also improves other gastrointestinal disorders.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: It is known that people who include lot of fresh green leafy vegetables in their diet tend to have normal blood pressure. Wheat Grass is a vegetable which is low in sodium content. Wheat grass can provide 4% of an adult’s daily requirement of fiber, this can help to control the blood pressure.
- Slows down Aging: Wheat Grass is loaded with antioxidants and contains all Vitamins and Minerals which are good for skin and hair health. These antioxidants neutralizes free radicals in the body there by slows down the aging process and reveal a more youthful vitality and vigour.
- Immunity Booster: As wheat grass has the ability to increase the red blood cells that is why it is very effective in boosting immunity.
- Treats Skin Diseases: Skin disorders like Eczema and Psoriasis can be treated with Wheat grass. Freeze wheat grass juice in ice cube tray, and rub the cubes across blemishes on your skin as well as on any scars or damaged areas. Alternatively, you could mix a cup of wheat grass juice or wheat grass powder into a warm bath and soak your body in the bath for at least 30 minutes. Your body will be cleansed and will be odor-free.
- Stabilizes Lipid Levels: Wheat Grass juice can help improve the lipid levels, which means it is a good tool to manage dyslipidemia.
- Fights Depression: The vitamin B present in wheat grass is effective to overcome anxiety and achieve a better state of mental health. Wheat grass juice also helps to keep the iron levels stable, which is particularly important for women as Iron deficiency is linked to apathy and depression.
- Reduces Fatigue: Low immunity leads the body to become fatigued frequently. Chlorophyll present in wheat grass juice helps to increase the supply of oxygen to the body cells and tissues and regenerates the tired cells, which heals the body and reduces the symptoms of fatigue.
There are many other health benefits of wheat grass juice which include removing of drug deposits, heavy metals, and cancer-causing agents from the body; and for removing toxins from the liver and blood. It is also useful in premature graying of hair and improving skin health. Wheat grass is also used to treat various disorders of the urinary tract, including infection of the bladder, urethra, and prostate, kidney stones etc.
Other uses include treatment of respiratory tract complaints, including the common cold, cough, bronchitis, fever, and sore throat; gout; liver disorders and joint pain.
Side Effects of Wheat Grass Juice
Although Wheat Grass is a store house of health benefits it does possess few side effects also.
Some of the most common side effects of wheat grass juice are listed below:
- Headaches and Nausea: In some cases continuous consumption of wheat grass often leads to nausea. Sometimes nausea is also accompanied by headache and dizziness, this is basically in response to the rapid detoxification using wheat grass juice.
- Constipation and Diarrhea: Too much( Excess of Wheat Grass )consumption of wheat grass juice in a short span of time leads to indigestion as body is not able to digest it properly, diarrhea or constipation can be the one of the symptoms depending on how one’s body react to wheat grass. Everybody’s body responds differently so the best way to introduce wheat grass is in small quantities and gradually increasing the doses so that the body can adapt to the change slowly.
- Fever: Mild fever can occur during the first few days of consumption of wheat grass juice due to a sudden chemical shift in the bloodstream as the purification process commences.
- Allergic Reaction: The most serious consequence of consuming wheat grass can be an allergic reaction. Signs of allergic reaction include facial swelling, skin rashes, tightening of throat or difficulty breathing. Stop the use of wheat immediately if you experience these reactions.
- Gluten Intolerance: Although wheat grass is a leafy shrub and it is free of gluten but it can be contaminated with gluten while harvesting or processing of wheat grass juice.
How to Use Wheat Grass and Doses
Wheat Grass juice can be mixed with lukewarm water and taken early morning on empty stomach. Wheat grass juice can also be mixed with other fruits and vegetable juices and consumed, it can be added to smoothies, milk shakes and energy drinks. Most appropriate time to consume wheat grass juice is early morning, on empty stomach, after freshening up.
Doses: 50-60 ml (10-12 tea spoons) of wheat grass juice is safe to be taken on a regular basis, in case you get any of the above mentioned side effects discontinue the use.